To live is the rarest thing in the world-most people exist, that is all.
Truth. Every time that I contemplate this quote, I am sharply reminded of how easily I am hypnotized into a mere exist-ing state of living. The ease with which my mind and body fall into the slavery of earning a living, doing class work, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, did-I-hit-the-snooze-button-again-blue-pill-taking mentality is sometimes terrifying and therefore, I have decided to set down a few items in order to help me keep it real and avoid sleep-walking while I am awake. Here goes:
What Makes Me Feel Most Alive
- Connecting with other humans-either intellectually, physically, or spiritually.
- Creating-making beauty from the ordinary or unappealing.
- Seeing promise in the discarded.
- Anticipation of passionate encounters and fantasies and then making a point of engaging all of my five senses in the experience.
- Nature and the outdoors and the unexpected varieties of pure, beautiful, and obscure upheavals of the raw forms of evolving biological life.
- Smells that evoke strong memories-especially sex smells and the pheromones of myself and certain others.
- Music that transports me to another time in memory or an imagined concept of another time and triggers physical stimulation.
- Running makes me feel alive and connected to my physical existence by being out of my head and into my organic expression.
There you have it–and I hope reading my list has inspired you to wake up and smell the coffee because we don’t get any do-overs in this life. I have said my “good-byes” to the blue-pill life and now I am heading out the door for one of my red-pill taking, no-more-fucking-sleep-walking runs!
Please share some of your living vs. existing experiences, if you are so inclined…I would enjoy hearing from you…XO